Free video hosting, video codes at www.vidiLife.com

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Passin' on...

So much has happened since my last post. Victory and tragedy, happiness and sadness, but in all things everlasting joy endures.

I was really suprised when i got the news of yet anotha plane crash back home...suprise was soon replaced with shock and sadness over the loss of lives and the pain on the faces of their families. This time the media giants gave the crash a lot of coverage, they usually don't. While there's much to be said, much to be complained about on the situation of air travel in Nigeria, I doubt much will be done. Seems to me like everywhere else on earth, all most officials and leaders do is talk, and never take action. And of course its the people that suffer their incompetence. I simply offer my prayers 4 the victims families, pain won't last always.

Richard Pryor...
I can say most of the lines in the movie "see no evil.." He was a great comedian and human being. I didn't get to meet you here on earth, hope to see you in heaven.


While we on the topic of passing on....I really don't follow the arguement behind why Tookie Williams should have been granted clemency. For those who don't know, Tookie was a convicted felon who co-founded the brutal gang "Crips". He was convicted and sentenced to death in 1981 for murdering 4 people. He changed in prison and has since become an anti-gang advocate and written books and donated to communities. Many celebrities and anti-death proponents have been fighting for his clemency, citing his changed ways as reason enuff to spare his life.

I'm not for the death penalty. It's brutal and should really have no place in this society, but some crimes are so brutal and the perpetrator so unrepentant, I hardly care. If it were my choice, I'd have let Tookie live, the death of no one pleasures me.
But think about the victims and their families. They want him dead and they have every right to feel that way, considering the irreversible loss they've suffered. So are the outsiders, people who really have no say in the matter, say a couple books he's written and anti-gang advocacy should be enuff to grant him clemency? can good-will books compare and equate with 4 lives? no.

I understand a 2nd chance is selfless and beautiful, but i also understand we must suffer the consequences for our actions. I don't support the death penalty, but if it was my mother that had been killed, I'd want him punished, killed too. But I'm not in that position and neither are 99% of the people raving about this case, so let the rest of us just back off.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It always hurts when children die, especially in such a tragic manner. Rest in peace.

I do think though Aima that Tookie should have been given a second chance. We all make mistakes and his was terrible and violent but I don't think anyone really gains anything from his death. Just my 2cents.

Z.

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aima,

sorry but I have to disagree with you on this one. The bible talks about 2nd chances all the time and God doesn't take pleasure in the death of anyone. I'm against the death penalty period. Yes I'd want vengeance if a loved one was murdered but i seriously doubt the killing of the convict will alleviate the pain.
And I don't really think you can easily brush aside how he's transformed his life in prison. Fact is he was helping the youth stay out of gangs, giving back to the community he took from. His life should have been spared. But then like you said, I guess it's not my choice.
Shigu

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Aima,

guess i'll be the only 1 2 agree wit you. It's been about a week now and all the initial noise has died down. I think people just needed something to preoccupy them, soon as the news has passed, they move on.

He committed a crime, was convicted and sentenced in a court by 12 jury. He's suffered the consequence for his past actions. God the righteous judge will award to him and everyone else whatever they deserve on judgement day. Let's wait till then when we have the full story of his and all our lives.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home